Monday, April 9, 2012

Kingdom Keepers V: Shell Game

The Kingdom Keepers series is one of the few book series that will be repeatedly referenced on this blog, partly because of the obvious Disney Parks connection, but mostly because the series is REALLY good. The general premise of the series is that five Orlando teenagers have been chosen by the Imagineers to help protect the Disney Parks from the Disney Villains, who are known as the Overtakers. These thrillers are written for a teen audience, but can be enjoyed by anyone of any age. Ridley Pearson painstakingly researches (read: gets to go to the empty parks and look around for ideas) each book, and the Disney Park nerd in me really appreciates the rich detail of the novels. Until Shell Game, my favorite book in the series was the first one, Disney After Dark. The three that have come out since then are great books, but haven't captured my imagination like the original did. After packing the last few books with exposition, Pearson is finally able to hit the ground running with this book. Out of all the books so far, Shell Game is easily the darkest. It's a war book. The Keepers are drugged, attacked, and driven apart by the Overtakers nefarious plot to take over the Disney Dream on its inaugural voyage from WDW to DLR. I won't give away the plot, but I was surprised who was on the OT's side in this story, and can't wait until the next book is released. If you hate cliffhangers, don't read Shell Game until the next book is released, because this is one the first time that a cliffhanger has made me mad due to the story being so good. I can't wait for KK6. Five out of Five Stars.

Note: in the spirit of full disclosure, A copy of this book was not provided for free by the publisher. I bought it myself, and this price in no way affected my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment